Food Chains and Webs
Educator’s Guide to the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary – Activities (BTNEP)
The BTNEP Educator’s Guide to the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary is a comprehensive, downloadble source of information and activities for formal and nonformal educators. Grades K-12.
- Wetland Webs (Activity 2-4) - Introduces the concept of food webs. Students form a huge food web of producers, herbivores, omnivores, carnivores, detritivores and scavengers. Grades 2, 4, 5.
- Marsh Food Web Rummy Card Game (Activity 2-5) - Reinforces the theme of wetland food
webs. Students are divided into small groups to play a rummy card game. Grades 2, 4, 5.
- Trading Spaces (Activity 2-8) - Uses of research skills to identify invasive species, both plant and
animal, found in the BTNE area. Students create posters to make a collective mural to place for
display. Grades 5, 7, HS Env Sci.
Lafourche Parish: From the Beginning – Activities (BTNEP)
A comprehensive guide to Lafourche Parish, its history, culture, and resources. Activities will help
students better understand this important Louisiana parish. All files are in Adobe format and
completely downloadable from this site. Grades 6-12.
- Biology - Flow charts, text, tables and vocabulary lists expand the students’ understanding of
- Soft Drink Energy Pyramid - Students identify producers, consumers and decomposers and
discuss the energy pyramid.
- Identifying the Food Chains - A questionnaire is used to help analyze the illustrated food web.
- Food Pyramid of the Salt Marsh - This graphic depicts familiar wetland organisms in a food
Parenting the Next Generation Website – Activities
Food Chain Movie - A short clip showing the food chain process with a video quiz.
Chain Reaction - An interactive game about creating a food web.
Ready, Set, Get Wet – Activities (EPA)
Wetlands inquiry includes picture search, preparation tips for visiting a wetland area, experiments involving growing wetland algae and designing wetland models, and constructing a food web. Grades 3-5.
The Marine Food Chain
A chart depicting a marine food chain with key definitions and factual information.
Gone Fishing – Lesson Plans
http://www.coolclassroom.org/teachers_guide/teachersguide.html# (printable teacher’s guide)
http://www.coolclassroom.org/cool_projects/lessons/biology/biology.html (link to student activity)
Students explore the role of phytoplankton in a marine food web and how physical factors in the environment affect living communities (Approximately (4) 45-50 minute classroom periods).
Marine Activities, Resources & Education – Wetland Illustration
This ready-made drawing of several coastal plants and wetlands provides an illustration on which students can easily place arrows to show a food chain / food web.
Countering Contamination: Data and Dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene (DDE) –
Lesson Plans (USGS)
Series of lessons focusing on ecotoxicology, DDE and bioaccumulation in bald eagles. Grades 8-12.
A Wetlands Food Web Story – Activities
Food web story centering on wetlands wildlife. Grades 1-5.